Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hot Summer; “See, don’t I look fabulous?”


Fedora collapsed onto Sacia’s bed fanning herself, “this heat is going to be the end of me.”
“Ugh, I know.” Sacia said, she was sitting at her desk staring at the fan, her dark brown hair was blowing everywhere. She turned towards Fedora, shaking her hair out of her eyes. “You wanna go to the beach?”
“Work.” Was all Fedora said.
“Lazy.” Sacia said.
“Heat.” Fedora said, still fanning herself. She sat up and looked at Sacia, “ou know fanning yourself doesn’t really work.”
“Yeah, but staring at the fan does, so does swimming.” Sacia said, her voice sounding weird from speaking into the fan.
“Okay, I’ll go.” Fedora said reluctantly. “I’ll meet you there in ten.”
“Nah, come pick me up.” Sacia said. “Easier that way.”
“Fine.” Fedora said, rolling her eyes. “Lazy.”
“I regret nothing.” Sacia laughed.
“You will.” Fedora threatened while walking out the door.
About Ten minutes later they were on the way to the beach.
“I love driving to the beach on a hot summer day.” Sacia said.
“Okay. That was cheesy.” Fedora said.
“Seriously, it always seems so surreal. Like a movie.” Sacia said, looking out the window. “You know, friends driving to the beach to cool down. Music playing, if it was a movie we’d probably meet up with some friends by chance and end up having, like, a barbecue or something.”
“You’re insane.” Fedora said laughing.
“The windows open, with our hair blowing around us, we look like models.” Sacia said. She shook her hair around. “See, don’t I look fabulous?”
“You look stupid, so do I, my hairs going to be an afro by the time we get there.” Fedora said, tyring to push down her crazy curly hair.
“Why didn’t you ponytail it then?” Sacia asked.
“Because, it would take an abnormally large ponytail to tame this.” She said, shaking her head.
“You’re going to get us into a car crash.” Sacia said, laughing. “It’s not that bad.”
“Yeah, and it isn’t super hot.” Fedora said, sarcastically.
“Oh shut up, and stop with the pity party.” Sacia said. “Not everyone can look as fabulous as me.”
“And here we are.” Fedora said, ignoring her as they pulled into a parking space in front of the beach.
“Finally.” Sacia said.
They got out and ran down to the beach. Fedora spread out her towel and took off her swimsuit cover. Sacia quickly did the same, then they raced down to the water.
“Cold!” Sacia exclaimed as soon as they got in the water. She jumped and ran out. But Fedora didn’t stop, she ran till she could get all the way in then dived under. She swam under water then surfaced and waved to Sacia who was tentatively trying to get in.
“Hey loser.” Fedora called, “come on in, the water is perfect.”
“Cold.” Sacia called back.
“Baby.” Fedora taunted. She swam up to Sacia and splashed her.
“Hey!” Sacia exclaimed, blindly splashing Fedora back, while trying to run away. They kept splashing each other until finally Sacia swam away.
“Are you happy.” She said, shaking her hair out of her face.
“Super, race me.” Fedora said.
“You always win.” Sacia said.
“I know.” Fedora said. “That’s the point, it wouldn't be fun if you won.”
“I hate you.” Sacia said.
“Love ya too.” Fedora said, swimming away.
“Hey, wait up!” Sacia called, trying to catch up to her. Of course Fedora was way faster then her so she stopped half way. “I give up!”
“A quitter never wins.” Fedora said, after she stopped swimming.
“Who cares.” Sacia said.
They swam around for a while more till finally they were both tired and hungry. Fedora laid down on her towel and closed her eyes.
“So tired.” She said.
“Same here.” Sacia said
“So hungry, I want ice cream.” Fedora said, she opened on eye and looked at Sacia. “Have any money?”
“You’re such a gold digger.” Sacia said.
“Only way to play.” Fedora said, laughing.
“More like only way to pay.” Sacia said, “come on lets get something to eat, you’ll have to pay for gas anyway.”
“Or my mom, either way I get ice cream, so I’m happy.” Fedora said. They gathered they’re stuff then drove down to an ice cream parlor that was close to the beach. Fedora ordered a double chocolate cone and Sacia ordered vanilla with nuts. They sat at a picnic table eating quietly.
“This is the perfect end to the movie.” Sacia said, then she thought for a bit, “except we never met our friends and we didn’t have a barbecue, it’s all good in the end.”
“Except, by tomorrow, I’m going to be melting again, just like this ice cream.” Fedora said, shrugging.
Sacia shrugged, “maybe we’ll come back again tomorrow.”
“If I feel like it.” Fedora said.
“I hope you do.”Sacia said.

No comments:

Post a Comment