Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving part 2

AeGuk wasn’t expecting Fedora when he heard the knock on the door and rushed to answer it. It was too early for people to being coming over, his mom and DaeRi were still asleep. In fact he was expecting anyone but Fedora.
But it was and he was shocked. What was she doing here? AeGuk didn’t even know she was in town.
“H-h-h-h-,” he tried to say hi but it just wouldn’t come out.
“What’s up?” Fedora said, “You gonna invite me in?”
“Uh-uhm,” he said, he didn’t know what to say. “S-s-s-s-sure sure?”
“Okay, great,” Fedora said, walking past him into his house. It’s not like it was her first time in his house but he still felt a little nervous about it.
“We need to talk,” she said.
“O-o-o-oh,” he said, wishing for once that he would be able to say something without stuttering.
“Okay, why don’t I just talk?” she said, “You just sit down and I’ll tell you a story.”
“W-what?” he asked, confused now.
“Okay, you don’t have to,” Fedora shrugged, “But I have to be back home at about eleven, so I have to get this over with. So I think there were some misunderstandings between us. I’m thinking that you thought that I had wanted to break up with you. But I don’t”
“Uhm,” AeGuk said, really confused now.
“I told you that I wanted to fool around with other guys” Fedora said, “but that doesn’t mean I don’t like you.”
“But,” AeGuk said now, “Wh-why would you you want t-t-t-to if you w-were dating me?”
“Because I can't make out with you,” Fedora said, “I want to be free in college. Not tied up, but I like you and I don’t want to break up.”
“I-I’m s-s-ssorry,” AeGuk said, “B-b-but I don’t a-a-a-agree with that.”
“Okay, it was worth the try,” Fedora said, “See you later, or not.”
And thens he left, leaving AeGuk feeling slightly disappointed. He had to admit when she appeared at the door a spark of hope lit up inside him, hoping that she changed her mind.
He should have known, Fedora was too stubborn. But maybe he was too. No, he wasn’t he was just thinking logically and this didn’t make sense to him.
--
“It didn’t work out,” Fedora announced when she got back to the house. Harriette was sitting in the kitchen helping her mom with the potatoes.
“Oh?” Harriette asked as Fedora sat next to her and grabbed a potato and potato peeler and got to work.
“Yep, he said he didn’t agree with me,” Fedora said, “Whatever.”
Harriette gave her a look.
“What?” Fedora said.
“You really like him don’t you?” Harriette smiled.
“I think I’ve said that before,” Fedora shrugged, “But if he isn’t willing to make some sacrifices to make me happy then whatever.”
“But you’re not making sacrifices either,” Harriette pointed out.
“Because, I don’t think I need to,” Fedora said, “It’s not like I'm asking to date other people. And I’m respecting his decision, I’m not forcing him to do anything and at least I asked and didn’t go behind his back making out with other guys.”
“Why do you think it’s so important that you get to make out with people?” Harriette asked.
“What?” Fedora said, “I never said it was important. I don’t want to be tied down, it’s that simple.”
“So instead of dating someone you really like you’d rather make out with a couple of random guys,” Harriette
“Gosh, you make me sound like such a slut,” Fedora said.
Harriette shrugged, “That’s what it sounds like. I’m not trying to be rude, I just don’t understand. If I really liked someone I would just date them and be happy.”
“But you’re not me,” Fedora said, “I’m not happy dating someone long distance and then being tied down. When he goes to college, if it somewhere near me, then I’ll stop. I’ll dedicate myself to him.”
“So you think that you’ll still like him in a year?” Harriette said.
“Why not?” Fedora said, “He’s nice, kind of hot, and he’s never done anything to hurt me. He’s the kind of guy I would spend my life with. Which sounds mighty serious and it’s kind of freaking me out that I just said that.”
Harriette laughed, “you like him a lot, maybe even love.”
Fedora shrugged, “I don’t know.”
Harriette liked that Fedora was always very straight forwards, instead of brushing that off and saying “no of course not” she just told the truth. She says it like it is.
“So tell me, do you like anyone?” Fedora said, changing the topic to Harriette’s love life instead of hers.
Harriette frowned, “no.”
“Cool,” fedora said.
“It’s not really cool,” Harriette said, “Tamarai crushing on some new guy and DaeRi just started going out with Payton. Which is pretty weird since he doesn't talk so I wonder how that works out.
“Ooo, she’s dating a mute guy?” Fedora said, “That’s sort of cool.”
“They spend a lot of their time making out,” Harriette said.
“Hot,” Fedora said.
“That’s not the point,” Harriette frowned. “The point is that everyone I know either has a boyfriend or is crushing on someone. Even Collin.”
Speaking of Collin he came into the room right then.
“‘Even Collin’ what?” he said.
“You like someone,” Fedora said.
He raised his eyebrows, “I do?”
“Apparently,” Fedora shrugged.
“Well then,” Collin said, sitting down with them, “Tell me, who is it?”
“Nothing,” harriette said, “You don’t like anyone, it’s just you do like people.”
“Oh, not this again,” Collin said, looking sympathetic. “You’re perfectly fine, it’s okay to not like anyone.”
“People are probably going to start thinking I’m a lesbian,” Harriette said.
“So?” Fedora said, “Like Collin said stop caring so much. Move on, it’s stupid to think so much about how you don’t like someone. Maybe you just haven’t met the right guy yet?”
“Whatever,” Harriette said, “Can we talk about someone elses problem.”
“We talked about mine already,” Fedora said, “It’s Collin’s turn.”
“Collin’s perfect, he has no problems,” Harriette said.
Collin shrugged, “nothing right now.”
“See?” Harriette said.
“Why again am I friends you guys,” Fedora said, “You guys are annoying.”
“Hey,” Harriette said.
“Are you guys done with the potatoes?’ Harriette’s mom asked.
“Yeah,” Fedora said, finishing her last potato.
“Good. Now you guys can go and have some fun, I’ll finish everything here and Fedora, you mom’s gonna come early since you were asleep yesterday when she came.” their mom said, taking the bowl of potatoes from them.
“Oh joy,” Fedora said sarcastically.
“Harriette,” Tamarai said, walking into the kitchen, “I’m going over to DaeRi’s, do you want to come?”
“Uhm, I’m hanging out with Fedora,” Harriette said.
“Oh, yeah,” Tamarai said.
“Sorry,” Harriette said, “You have fun though.”
“Okay,” Tamarai said.
“And don’t be late, or mom will be very upset,” Harriette said.
“Of course not,” Tamarai said, “I’m just gonna stop by, she’s bored and apparently AeGuk is being mopey and she hates it when he gets mopey so she needs some cheering up.”
“Oh,” Fedora said.
“Anyway, I gotta go,” Tamarai said, “See you later.”
And then she was gone, leaving the three in the kitchen, alone except for Harriette’s mom.
“Ah, so he’s mopey huh?” Fedora said. “Does he really have the right to be mopey when he’s the one pushing me away.”
Harriette gave her a look, “Fedora I have something to tell you. You need to make a choice, you can’t go on pretending that he’s the wrong one here, because while he could compromise his moral and deal with something that would basically make him upset forever or you could deal with not making out with random guys and random parties and instead be with the guy you like.”
“While being separated for a year,” Fedora said, “Or more, we never know what his college of choice is.”
“What she’s trying to say is that you have to choose if he’s actually important to you or not,” Collin said.
Fedora sighed, they were ganging up on her now. But she also knew they were sort of right, but she was just too stubborn to listen.
“Okay, I’m going back to his house,” Fedora said. “We’ll see what happens.”
“Be back before twelve.” Harriette said.
“Okay,” Fedora said.
Fedora went back outside, shocked for a second when it wasn’t really cold. She was getting used to the cold weather of Massachusetts.
The town was so small you could really walk anywhere, no need for a car. But AeGuk’s house was on the other side of town and Fedora wasn’t very athletic at all and after walking there this morning she didn’t want to do that again so she stopped by her  house and borrowed her mom’s car. She wouldn’t mind.
In a car the trip only took around fifteen minutes. When she arrived Tamarai and DaeRi were sitting on the steps laughing about something. They both looked up as she pulled into the driveway.
“Fedora?” DaeRi said. “What are you doing here? Gonna upset AeGuk a little more?”
“Ugh,” Fedora said, “I’m not here to upset anyone, I just want to talk to him.
“Whatever,” DaeRi said.
Fedora brushed past her and knocked on the door, she figured she shouldn't just walk into the house without asking.
“You can just go in,” DaeRi said, “he’s in his room listening to sad Korean songs.”
“Okay,” Fedora said going in, glad to be away from DaeRi. She had never liked her, she always seemed a little evil. Fedora knocked on AeGuk’s door.
AeGuk said something in Korean.
“What?” she said.
“F-fedora?” AeGuk said. She heard the sound of what she assumed was him standing up and walking to the door.
“Fedora it is,” Fedora said when he opened the door. Fedora could see into his room, neat as usual. “You’re even neat when you’re mopey.”
“I-I’m Mmmopey?” AeGuk said.
“That’s what DaeRi said,” Fedora said.
“O-o-oh,” he stuttered, “Well well I-I’m n-not.”
Fedora tried not to laugh, he was trying to look so tough but his eyes were red. “It’s okay. I’m here to talk again. I realise that I was a little brash last time. But you know me, I just say what’s on my mind and nothing else. And what’s on my mind right now is how I planned to come here for break and make up with you, fix everything. My plan had a lot of flaws though, like you giving up on your morals just because I asked.”
He looked confused now, Fedora found that a lot of people looked confused after she talked to them. She just had that effect on people.
“So I think we should try this dating thing again,” Fedora said, “I’ll try to keep my hands off other people and we’ll see how that works.”
“Uh-uhm,” AeGuk said. “You you w-w-wanna d-d-date.... Again.”
“Yeah,” Fedora said, “I did just say that. See the thing is I actually like you, enough to maybe be tied up in college.”
“Oh,” AeGuk said. “You you d-do?”
“That is what I just said,” Fedora laughed. “So you okay with that?”
“O-okay,” AeGuk said, but still looked a little unsure.
“Cool,” Fedora said, looking at her watch, “Oh I gotta go, gotta be back at home by twelve, my mom’s coming over.”
“You-you’re nnnot st-st-staying w-with you your mommmm?” AeGuk asked.
“Yeah” Fedora said, “Long story short, I don’t like Bentley and his dad.  I gotta go.”
She kissed him on the cheek and then ran out, almost knocking over DaeRi and not feeling very sorry about it.
“See you later,” Fedora said.
She could vaguely hear DaeRi say something about her but Fedora didn’t care. She never did, she sort of got used to people talking about her behind her back.

No comments:

Post a Comment