Sunday, September 1, 2013

First Day part 1

To Lexi and Honey Bell it felt like summer had lasted far more than three month. Their summer had not been very stellar, because Honey’s mom, and Lexi’s aunt, took Honey on college tours the whole summer so they had barely anytime to just enjoy the lazy summer days.
But today school was back in session and it was back to them spending all their time together.
“You don’t even understand how boring college tours can get,” Honey said on their ride to school. Lexi had gotten her driver's license over the summer and her parents congratulated her with a car.
“Ugh, and I’m gonna have to do them next year,” Lexi sighed.
“I can’t believe we’re so old,” Honey laughed.
“I can’t believe you’re going to college next year,” Lexi said. “It’s gonna be unbearable without you.”
“You can do it,” Honey said, patting Lexi’s thigh, “I believe in you.”
Lexi laughed at Honey’s oh so serious tone, “we’ll see.”
They pulled into the school parking lot and parked.
Honey grinned, “I never thought I’d say this but I missed school.”
Lexi laughed, “I think I did too.”
They joined the crowd of student streaming into the hallways. It always amazed Lexi how things change but stay the same after summer break. The hallways were full with mostly the same people, but they all looked a tad bit different. Or a lot different.
Sadly Lexi and Honey had to split up for homeroom, after a strike of good luck where their lockers were very close to each others.
“We can’t have everything,” Honey said as they split up.
Then throughout the day they would see each other, say hi and then split up again, until Gym which they shared. That was also the first time they saw Layla. They hadn’t exactly forgot about her, how could they after spending their whole year together last year? But they hadn’t seen her all summer and didn’t really try to see her either. Even when Lexi was bored out of her mind.
“Layla!” Honey said after spotting her in the changing rooms.
Layla looked drastically different, her once long fire truck red hair was now short and bleached blond.
“Wow,” Lexi said.
“Hey,” Layla said, she looked a tad bit nervous.
“Sorry about disappearing all summer,” Honey said, “College stuff. I love your hair!”
“No problem,” Layla said, “and thanks.”
“I almost didn’t recognize you,” Lexi said, not bothering to make up an excuse about why she didn’t contact her all summer.
“Yeah right, you totally didn’t recognize her,” Honey laughed, “You looked so confused when I pointed her out.”
“Okay, so I totally didn’t recognize you,” Lexi said. “You’re taller.”
“I am,” Layla said, scrunching up her face, “I wish I wasn’t. If I don’t stop growing I’ll tower over the guys.”
“Tall people are cool,” Honey said.
Then the gym teacher blew her whistle signaling for them all to get to work. It was just laps so they could still talk.
“I like your hair,” Layla said to Lexi.
“Oh?” Lexi said, reaching up and touching her hair. She had dyed it very strawberry blond over the summer. “Thanks.”
“You guys both did excited things with your hair and mine is just brown,” Honey said.
“You could’ve,” Lexi said.
“Yeah right, remember I was out touring colleges all summer,” Honey said.
“How’d that go?” Layla asked.
“Boooring,” Honey said, “And I still have no idea what college I want to go to.”
“You’ll figure it out,” Lexi said, “I believe in you.”
Honey laughed, “We’ll see.”

--

Harriette noticed that this first day of school went a lot like last years. Except this year people weren’t just asking about her summer vacation, but also about DaeRi. She didn’t want to talk about DaeRi and that’s exactly what she told everyone.
It took forever for Harriette, Collin, and Tamarai to make it to their homeroom, which they surprisingly shared. And when they arrived it was just more of the same until the teacher quieted them all down.
Harriette was glad not to see DaeRi for most of the day. She didn’t share any classes with her, plus she shared a lot of classes with Collin which just added more good to her day. At lunch was the first time she saw her.
Of course Harriette, Tamarai and Collin all sat at the “Popular Table”. Tamarai was saying something about her English teacher when DaeRi caught Harriette’s eye from across the room. Harriette tried not to feel too happy to see her sitting all the way on the outside of the popular circle.
“Hm?” Tamarai said noticing that Harriette’s attention was elsewhere.
“Oh,” she said when she looked over to where Harriette was looking and saw DaeRi. She frowned.
“What are you guys looking at?” Collin asked. He glanced around and seemed to stop at something else.
Harriette looked at Collin, what was he looking at? She followed his line of sight and saw a familiar looking face but Harriette didn’t quite know who it was.
“Who’s that?” she asked.
“Huh?” Collin said looking at Harriette.
“Who’s that you’re looking at?” Harriette asked.
“Oh, that’s Amado...” Collin trailed off, “He used to go here before Bentley graduated but he moved last summer. We used to hang out with him.”
“Oh, yeah,” Harriette said. Tamarai was looking at them, kind of confused.
“I guess he’s back,” Collin shrugged, “but what were you looking at?”
“Oh, just DaeRi,” Harriette said, “I haven’t seen her all day.”
“Oh,” Collin said.
“Isn’t it sad to see her all the way over there?” Tamarai asked.
“Sad, after what she did to my friends and herself?” Harriette laughed, “Not really.”
Tamarai frowned.
Harriette shrugged, “I don’t have much sympathy for someone like her.”

--

Earlier that day after English Tamarai ran into DaeRi.
“Finally!” DaeRi exclaimed, “I’ve been looking all over for you.”
Tamarai shrugged, “Sorry.”
“So how’s it going?” DaeRi asked.
Tamarai frowned, “Why don’t we talk after school?”
DaeRi stopped walking and stared at Tamarai, “What? Why?”
Tamarai frowned, “It’s just that if I’m talking to you and Harriette’s not people might think it’s kind of weird.”
DaeRi frowned, “No way, you’re the last person I would have thought would do this. Base our friendship on what other people think?”
Tamarai bit her lip,”I don’t know what to do. Harriette expects me to stick with her, and if I’m with her I can’t be seen with you.”
DaeRI shook her head, she could not believe this was happening. Her one best friend abandoning her for popularity.
“I’m sorry, but Harriette has been there for me from day one,” Tamarai said. “she accepted me into her family with open arms. And being her sister has changed my life, I can’t just leave her.”
“But I’m your best friend!” DaeRi exclaimed, calling some attention onto the two of them. Tamarai could hear people start to whisper just as the bell rung. With one last look at DaeRi she turned around and headed off to her next class, leaving DaeRi alone in the hallway.

--

Now at Lunch Tamarai felt terrible about the scene in the hallway earlier. On one hand she knew that sticking with Harriette was what she wanted to do, but on the other hand she felt terrible about ditching DaeRi. She hoped that one day maybe Harriette could patch things up with Daeri again. Even if it seemed unlikely.

No comments:

Post a Comment