Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A DISASTROUSLY LONG DRIVEWAY

Simone dragged Sacia up to the mountains for a weekend with two of her friends, Sacia was just glad for a weekend off from work and she liked Simone’s friends. Lauren was so unlike Simone in a lot of ways, but she was also a lot like Simone. They met in college, when Simone was majoring in creative writing and Lauren was majoring in English, and both dropped out at the same time and moved in with the third friend, Christie.
Christie never even attempted to go to college, instead she got a job straight out of high school at a local diner and stayed with her parents as she saved up for an apartment.
They were such an interesting bunch of girls and together they were a party.
So much of a party they they didn’t wake up until 4PM on sunday when they were supposed to drive back down to NYC. And when they did wake up, they woke up to a good amount of snow covering everything outside.
“Oh, someone is gonna have to shovel all of that,” christie said, staring out at the snow.
“Someone?” Simone asked, “Not me, I didn’t pack any shoveling boots.”
“Do you own shoveling boots?” Lauren asked.
“No,” Simone admitted, “I don’t shovel.”
And that was true, every morning if the steps of the salon had to be shoveled Sacia was the one doing it, she had learned before hand to just stop wearing heels to work. She actually learned that after the first snow and she almost died on the way to work.
“Well I guess that leaves me,” Lauren shrugged, “I doubt Christie even knows how.
“Hey,” Christie started to say but paused, “I guess that okay, actually.”
“Sacia can do it,” Simone volunteered.
“Uhm,” Sacia said, “No?”
“Tell I gotta get to work for an appointment tonight, and if you’ll get us out of here I’ll give you a raise,” Simone offered.
Well Sacia couldn’t say no to that.
Fifteen minutes later Sacia and Lauren are out on the disastrously long driveway trying to clear path for the car. Sacia was cold everywhere, her jeans were soaked through and her gloves were just a blocks of ice.
Lauren paused to take a breath and watched Sacia.
“Can you believe we’re out here shoveling snow?” Lauren said.
Sacia didn’t say anything, she was too focused on trying to stay warm and getting them out of this stupid driveway.
“You’d think that Simone would be smart enough to bring stuff for winter weather to the mountains in the winter,” Lauren scoffed.
Sacia learned this weekend that Lauren was really talkative and couldn’t do much without carrying a conversation at the same time. Even if the conversation was with herself.
“When I get home I’m gonna get an eggnog latte from Starbucks and spend the rest of the day under my blankets,” she went on to say.
“When I get home I’m gonna have to help Simone at work,” Sacia said, “no Starbucks for me until the salon is closed.”
“That sucks,” Lauren said.
“But when I get out of work I’m gonna go home and make myself so many cups of hot chocolate I won’t have to eat for the next week,” Sacia said, smiling at the thought.
Thirty minutes later, when Sacia is officially a walking icicle, they finally get to the end of the disastrously long driveway and run, more like wobble with how frozen they are, up to the house. Sacia wanted to sit in front of the over for the rest of the day but Simone rushed them around telling them to pack up their stuff and get in the car.
“We gotta go!” she kept saying.
Luckily the car had working heating and when they arrived to the salon Sacia felt fully restored to her original non-icicle state. But not luckily she had to shovel the steps of the salon.
She could not wait to get home and drink that hot chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment