Wednesday, April 11, 2012

“He’s not cheating on me,”

“So, you never told me why you think he’s going to break up with you, “ Abigail, Karina’s best friend, said. They were at Abigail’s house lounging by her pool. Karina had told her earlier that she had a feeling that Bentley was going to break up with her.
Karina shrugged, “he just always seems out of it when he’s with me.”
“Maybe he’s cheating on you,” Abigail said, “that’s one of the signs of a cheating boyfriend.”
“Bentley’s not like that,” Karina said.
Abigail shrugged, “maybe, but maybe he is.”
“No,” Karina said, “I’m not going to let you fill my brain with doubts and insecurities.”
“I’m just saying what I think,” Abigail said. Karina sighed, Abigail always said what she thought, and most of the time it was bad. She can’t keep secrets to save her life and probably by tomorrow everyone is going to be talking about how Bentley is cheating on Karina. She was the queen of gossip.
--
And she was right.
“What’s with all the rumours about me?” Bentley asked his friends at lunch the next day.
“What rumours?” Collin asked.
“With your super popular sister, I thought you would hear all the rumours,” Bentley said.
Collin shrugged.
“What are people saying about you?” Amado asked.
“People are saying that I am cheating on Karina,” Bentley said.
“Oh,” Collin said.
“Really?” Amado said, looking curious. “Which isn’t true, right?”
“Of course not,” Bentley said, “I just want to know who started it. Rumours like that could tarnish my reputation. I hope Karina doesn’t believe them, do you think I should go talk to her.”
Amado nodded, “that might be a good idea.”
Bentley sighed, “okay.”
He got up and walked over to Karina’s table, “Hey.”
“Hi,” Karina said smiling, it didn’t look like she believed the rumours.
“Did you hear what people are saying about me?” Bentley asked.
“Yeah, “Karina said, rolling her eyes, And I know exactly who started it.”
Karina looked straight at Abigail.
“Hey, I didn’t tell anyone,” Abigail said, “Okay, I might have told a few cheerleaders, but that’s all.”
“Told them what?” Bentley asked.
“That I had a few suspicions about you,” Abigail said, “but I didn’t start them, Karina did.”
Karina shot her a look, “I didn’t say anything.”
“Yeah you did,” Abigail said, looking confused, “you told me that he was distant, and that’s the number one trait of a cheating boyfriend, as I already told you.”
Bentley looked at Karina, who looked pretty guilty, “do you really think I’m distant?”
Karina shrugged, “a little?”
Bentley sighed, “whatever, I’m not cheating so that clears that up. Okay?”
“Of course,” Karina said.
“Good, “ Bentley said, “see you later.”
“Bye,” Karina said.
“Cleared that up,” Bentley said when he got back to his friends, “her friend thinks I’m cheating on her.”
“Why?” Amado asked.
“Because apparently I’m distant,” Bentley said. “Whatever.”
“Why are you distant?” Amado asked.
“I’m not distant,” Bentley said. “Do you think I’m cheating on her?”

Amado shrugged.
“Seriously?” bentley said, “you do?”
“I never said that,” Amado said, “I just shrugged, It is none of my business.”
“You believe me, right, Collin?” Bentley asked.
“Um, of course,” Collin said.
Bentley smiled at him, “good.”
Amado look at Bentley and Collin suspiciously, but Bentley ignored him and changed the subject.
--
“Why would you say that in front of him!” Karina said after Bentley left the table. “now he thinks I suspect him.”
Abigail shrugged, “I just said what was true.”
Karina sighed, “now he’s really going to break up with me.”
“You should break up with him first,” Abigail said, “make him look like the bad guy, not you. What if he tries to make you look like and overly suspicious girlfriend who wouldn’t leave him alone. You can break up with him, call him a cheater and then bam, you get all the sympathy.”
“No,” Karina said. “That just sounds stupid.”
“Fine,” Abigail said, “if you want that to happen, I can’t stop you.”
Karina rolled her eyes, “you’re insane.”
“Insanely right,” Abigail said.
“No,” Karina said, “insanely wrong, Bentley wouldn’t do something so mean. he’s above stuff like that, he’s even nice to Fedora and her friends.”
“That doesn’t count, he’s Fedora’s brother,” Abigail said.
Karina shrugged, “brothers don’t have to be nice.”
“Maybe,” Abigail said, “but if he’s as nice as you said, of course he would be nice to his sister.”
“Exactly,” Karina said, “he’s nice.”
“But just because someone is nice to their sister doesn’t mean they’ll be nice to their ex,” Abigail said.

“Whatever,” Karina said, “you watch too much tv.”
“Maybe,” Abigail said, “but that doesn’t mean I’m not right. It also doesn’t take away the fact that he’s probably cheating on you anyway.”
“He’s not cheating on me,” Karina said.
Abigail shrugged, “Maybe.”
Karina sighed, Abigail could be such a nuisance sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment