Wednesday, September 26, 2012

“See? You’re perfect.”

After, what felt like, a very long first day of school, Harriette was relaxing and wondering when Fedora would call her. She told her to call her since she knew Harriette’s school times and Harriette didn’t know hers.
Finally after chatting with some people online and checking her email Fedora called.
“Hi,” Harriette said.
“So I noticed something wrong about what you said earlier,” Fedora said.
“Yeah?” Harriette asked.
“I didn’t break up with AeGuk,” Fedora said, “he broke up with me.”
“What?” Harriette said, shocked. “then why was he so upset.”
“Because he didn’t want to?” Fedora said, “I don’t know.”
“Why did he break up with you?” Harriette asked.
“I wanted to see other people,“ Fedora said.
“What?” Harriette said, “that’s basically breaking up with him.”
“No, it’s not,” Fedora said, “I told him I didn’t want to be tied down, but I still wanted to date him. Because I really like him, and I still do. I told him I wouldn’t actually date anyone, just fool around. You know?”
Harriette was silent for a second, “but why would you want to?”
“Because I’m a normal person who likes to make out,” Fedora said, “and who was I supposed to make out if my boyfriend still lived all the way in California?”
“Uhm, okay?” Harriette said, still mostly confused.
“So tell me about your first day?” Fedora said, obviously wanted to change the topic.
“It was great,” Harriette said, “I’m still super popular, at least a hundred people stopped me in the hallway to ask how my summer was. Collin was a little annoyed by it though. Speaking of Collin he ate lunch with AeGuk. Weird huh? I think he was being nice.”
“Being nice?” Fedora laughed, “he likes him.”
“No,” Harriette said. Though it was entirely plausible. Over the summer Collin confessed that he was gay Harriette was shocked, mostly because he hadn’t told her sooner. Fedora on the other hand just laughed when she heard, saying of course he was.
“Hey, AeGuk is hot,” Fedora said, “why wouldn’t he like him?”
“I don’t know,” Harriette said, “I hope he doesn’t, because that would just lead to heartbreak.”
“Not only that but doesn’t he know the bestfriend code?” Fedora said, “you don’t date your friend’s ex. Though I don’t really consider him my ex.”
“What?” Harriette asked.
“Our breakup is just a short term thing,” Fedora said, “when I come back for Thanksgiving I’ll fix it.”
“Oh,” Harriette said.
“And then when he graduates he’ll go to college near here,” Fedora said, “and we’ll live happily ever after. Maybe he’ll go to Harvard, then we’ll be in the same school.”
Harriette laughed, “you really like him, don’t you?
“I told you that didn’t I?” Fedora said. “So tell me, is there anyone you like?”
“No,” Harriette said.
“C’mon, you have the whole school wishing they could date you,” Fedora said.
“Am I weird?” Harriette said, “I’ve never liked a guy in my whole life. Maybe I’m gay.”
“Do you like girls?” Fedora asked.
Harriette thought about it for a second, “no.”
“then you’re not gay,” Fedora said, “you’re weird, but not  gay. And didn’t you like Gregg?”
“I only dated him for popularity,” Harriette said, “I’m sure he didn’t actually like me.”
“You are shameless,” Fedora said.
“You gotta do what you gotta do,” Harriette said. “I need to get a boyfriend, I can’t be the biggest Popular if I don’t have one.”
“Then just date someone you don’t like,” Fedora said.
“I guess I could do that,” Harriette said.
“You’re terrible,” Fedora said, “Anyway I’ve gotta go.”
“Bye,” Harriette said. After they hung up Harriette went downstairs to get something to eat, still feeling a little weird about the phone call. She wondered if there was something wrong with her. In the living room Collin was sitting on the couch drawing.
“Hi,” She said.
“Hey,” He said looking up from his drawing.
“Did you have fun today?” Harriette said sitting down next to him, deciding she could get a snack later.
“It’s school, are we supposed to have fun at school?” Collin asked.
“Yes, you’re supposed to have fun all the time,” Harriette said.
“I guess it was okay,” Collin said. “I feel bad for AeGuk.”
“You know he broke up with her?” Harriette said.
“What?” Collin said, looking shocked, “why?”
“Because Fedora wanted to make out with other guys,” Harriette said. “Fedora says they’re not really broken up though.”
Collin was silent.
“Oh gosh,” Harriette said, “you do like him, don’t you?”
Collin looked shocked, but he was blushing giving it all away.
“Collin, Fedora still likes him,” Harriette said, “and he doesn't like guys.”
“It’s not like that,” Collin said, but he was still blushing.
“How come I don’t like anyone?” Harriette said, mostly to herself.
Collin looked at her, “what do you mean?”
“I have never liked anyone, or really found anyone attractive,” Harriette said, “I mean, I knew Bentley was hot, but that was really just obvious. But people who aren’t obviously hot? Nope. I mean DaeRi thought Preston was a super hottie, but he’s just bleh. Tamarai thinks almost everyone is hot, but unless they’re obviously attractive I don’t see it. I don’t even have an ideal type. If someone asked me what kind of guy I like I would describe you, because you, Collin, are the perfect guy. If I could meet someone who looked and acted just like you then, maybe I would like them.”
“Uhm,” Collin said, looking confused. “I’m sorry?”
“I’m a weirdo,” Harriette said, looking down at her hands. Why did she feel so upset about this?
“It’s okay,” Collin said, pulling her into a hug. “you’re perfectly normal.”
Harriette smiled, “see? You’re perfect.”

No comments:

Post a Comment