Friday, February 8, 2013

The Valentine's Quest part 4

After the scene in the cafeteria it was like every girl in the school was trying out for a spot at the the Popular table. One by one people would walk up and say things like “You’re looking really pretty today,” “That skirt is ultra cute, where’d you get it?” or “That was amazing, I was so tired of DaeRi thinking she was better than the rest of us.”
It would be a lie if Harriette said she didn’t enjoy it a bit, she felt like she was newly popular again, with people feeding her with compliments. But she tried not to let it show, because Collin looked annoyed with it all.
Tamarai was quiet through the whole thing, Harriette assumed she felt conflicted about what happened. Tamarai and DaeRi were friends before they were Harriette’s lackies so of course it would uncomfortable sitting there without DaeRi.
Finally, after school, Tamarai said something.
“You’re not really kicking DaeRi out of our clique right?” she said.
Harriette pondered that for a minute, on one hand she really did think that DaeRi was getting a little too stuck up, but on the other hand DaeRi was Tamarai’s best friend and kicking her out might lead to Tamarai leaving too and then Harriette would be lacky-less and then anyone could take her place as queen Popular.
She shrugged, “I don’t know. Maybe if she starts acting nice then she can come back.”
“But, Harriette,” Tamarai paused, probably contemplating whether she should continue or not.
“Yes?” Harriette asked.
“D-daeRi is really nice underneath it all,” Tamarai said, “I know she’s been a bit overbearing but it’s just because she’s worried about you.”
Harriette laughed, “That’s what she told me. But I don’t need people to worry about me. I’m fine, I can take care of my own problems and it might not look like it but I do notice what people are saying and I do care. But it’s hard to live like that, only focusing on popularity. I want to have fun. I don’t want the rest of my high school years to be a drag me trying to please everyone else.”
Tamarai just stared at her, “All this is because of what Collin told you?”
“Yeah,” Harriette said, smiling. “He’s great, isn’t he?”
“Harriette!” DaeRi called from the entrance of the school, she was running/speed walking towards them.
“Uhm...” Harrietted said.
“I’m-” DaeRi started once she got close enough to them.
“Nope,” Harriette interrupted. “I know exactly what we need, and it’s not heartfelt apologies.”
DaeRi looked confused.
“Spa day,” Harriette said. “Come on!”
Tamarai and DaeRi shared one last confused glanced before following Harriette to where her mom’s car was waiting for them.
---
After a relaxing day afternoon at the spa Harriette, DaeRi, and Tamarai sat in her living room eating some fruit and chatting it up, like all the drama from the cafeteria never happened.
“So, guess what happened during lunch today?” DaeRi said.
Harriette stared at her, what could have happened other than the blow out? she glanced at Tamarai, who looked like she already knew.
“Payton asked me to prom,” DaeRi said, grinning from ear to ear. Harriette on the other hand felt her face fall, she wasn’t jealous or anything, DaeRi was gonna go to prom before her no matter what since she was a year older than her. What she felt was a combination of shock and anger.
“I thought you were gonna break up with him?” Harriette said.
“Oh, yeah, well...” DaeRi trailed off, looking nervous. “I changed my mind. He was really nice to me after everything happened, I mean he asked me to prom! How could I break up with him after that?”
“Well, I’m happy for you,” Harriette said. “Really I am.
“Thanks!” DaeRi said.
“He must really like you,” Tamarai said.
“I know,” DaeRi said. “I didn’t even know he did, I thought he hated me.”
Then DaeRi and Tamatai started talking about prom dresses and Harriette shut them out, she didn’t want to think about this stuff right now on their relaxing spa day.
Tamarai poked Harriette, breaking her out of her trance, “what do you think?”
“About what?” Harriette asked,
Wearing black to the prom,” Tamarai explained.
“Ew,” Harriette said, “Wearing black to the prom makes it look like you’re trying too hard to be sophisticated, wear dark blue instead. Dark colors really bring out you gorgeous complexion.”
“Thanks,” DaeRi said, looking genuinely thankful.
“Anytime, that’s what friends are for,” Harriette said.
DaeRi smiled and then they got back to talking about the prom.
It’s in three months, do they have to talk about it now? Harriette wondered.

No comments:

Post a Comment