Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Different Kind of Prom Dress


(hq)

“So, you’re not going dress shopping?” DaeRi asked Tamarai.
“I am, just not in the mall,” Tamarai said.
“You just said you were ordering it online,” DaeRi said, “that’s not shopping, and what if it doesn’t fit?”
Tamarai laughed, shaking her head. They were sitting sitting in Tamarai’s room discussing proms dresses. DaeRi had asked when they were going dress shopping and was slightly dumbfounded when Tamarai replied with; “I’m getting mine online.”
“I’m getting it imported,” Tamarai explained, “I’m gonna wear a sari, from India.”
“Oh,” DaeRi said, nodding a little bit, “that’s kind of... cute. Non traditional.”
“I told you years ago I was gonna wear one to prom,” Tamarai said.
“I’m supposed to remember things you’ve told me years ago?” DaeRi said, “and anyway, when we talked about proms years ago it was just fanciful dreaming. You can’t hold me to what I said.”
“You said you wanted to wear something simple and with some glitter,”  Tamarai said.
“Well... okay I kind of still want that,” DaeRi said, “I want a dress that looks like the night sky.”
Tamarai nodded, “I’ll still go shopping with you, though.”
“Good, I can’t shop alone, that’s pitiful,” Daeri scoffed.
Tamarai just laughed and shook her head, DaeRi was crazy. But she was her friend.


--


“Oh my god, it’s here already?” Tamarai gazed at the package that had arrived from India with her name on it, it could only be her sari for prom. She and Harriette had just arrived home from school after an attempt to get DaeRi that dress of her dreams, they did the convincing and now it was up to DaeRi to take up their advice, it was a fool proof plan actually.
“What is it?” Harriette asked, poking at the box that sat on the kitchen table.
“Oh, girls you’re home!” Their mom said entering the kitchen just then.
“Hi, mom,” they said.
“Where’s Collin?” their mom asked.
“Hanging out with Amado,” Harriette said.
“Alright,” their mom said, nodding, “Well Tamarai, this arrived just a few moments ago. I’ve been dying to see what’s inside, care to open it?”
“You bet I do,” Tamarai grinned. Her mom laughed and handed her a pair of scissors as Harriette took a seat and the table.
Tamarai excitedly cut all the tape off and slowly, or as slowly as she could, opened the box. The bright pink and mint green of the Sari showed through the light paper it was wrapped in, Tamarai just wanted to see the dress already!
“Stop being dramatic and just take the thing out already,” Harriette said.
“Sorry,” Tamarai apologised, quickly pulling apart the paper and pulling out first the pink cropped blouse, but that was the least important part so she set that aside after the oohing and ahing from her mom and sister and then pulled out the bundle of silky fabric that was the actually sari. It was a hot pink net with sequins, little stones and beads and mint green stitching in the pattern of flowers and vines. And it was huge, Tamarai was overwhelmed with the beauty and size of it, and suddenly a little worried about putting it on. she mentally made a note to do a lot of research on how to put on a Sari.
“Wow, it’s see through?” Harriette said, “sexy.”
“It’s gorgeous, Tamarai,” her mom said, lightly touching the fabric, “such a beautiful feel to it too, you’re gonna look beautiful.”
“And sexy,” Harriette laughed.
“I hope so,” Tamarai said, still gazing at her beautiful sari, she could not wait for prom.
Now she just hoped DaeRi would have the dress of her dreams too. That would just be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment