Friday, April 25, 2014

“A tiara would look great with this dress.”

(HQ)

After being forced to sit through hours of dress fittings with the evil soon to be stepmother Tracy was pretty sure she never wanted to be in another dress store again, she was tempted to just buy her prom dress online. But after some convincing from Heather and some reasonable reasoning she found herself in their favorite designer dress store downtown. Thankfully not the same one that the soon to be evil stepmother got her surprisingly not too bad bridesmaid’s dresses at.
“I really think you just need to relax,” Heather said as she shifted through the dress catalog, “I mean, you can’t let Patty ruin prom and dress shopping.”
“I guess,” Tracy shrugged, she did not want to talk about that soon to be evil stepmother right then.
Heather cast her a sympathetic look then looked back at the dresses. “Should I go with blue or purple?”
“Why purple?” Tracy asked, Blue was Heather’s favorite color and she had just assumed she would stick with that, plus it complimented her deep blue eyes.
“I don’t know, I thought I would switch it up a bit,” Heather said.
“Well, I just want a pale pink color,” Tracy said, flipping through another catalog.
“Do you guys have anything you wanna try on yet?” the salesperson asked.
“Yep,” Heather said, holding open the catalog and showing the salesperson the pic of a pretty teal dress with an empire waist and pearl detailing.
“Okay, only that?” the salesperson asked.
“Also anything else that looks like this,” Heather laughed, “I want a sea blue with lace or pearls.”
“I can think of a couple dresses that fit that bill,” the salesperson said, turning to Tracy, “and you?”
“Pale pink, almost white, long with a high neckline,” Tracy said.
“I got it,” the salesperson said, “I’ll get a couple that fit your requests then be right back for some fittings.”
“Thanks,” Heather said.
“I love shopping here, being catered to like this,” Tracy sighed.
“Right?” Heather asked, “So, who do you think’ll ask you to prom?”
“If I wanted someone to go to prom with me, I’d just ask them myself,” Tracy shrugged, and she didn’t. Personally dates were just another thing to cause her to worry and her biggest problem was trying not to worry herself sick.
“Well, do you think anyone will ask you?” Heather rephrased her question.
“Maybe,” Tracy shrugged, “We’re not too popular.”
“But someone must like us, right?” Heather asked.
Tracy shrugged, “I don’t want a date. I just wanna go with you, full out girls night.”
“So, I can’t get a date?” Heather asked.
“You can, if you care that much or if someone asks you,” Tracy shrugged, “but why do we need dates?”
Heather shrugged, “going dateless is a classic sign of being an outcast loser.”
“Well, how about we be each other’s dates?” Tracy asked.
Heather laughed, “are you asking me to prom?”
Tracy shrugged, “I guess so.”
“Wow, I expect a bigger proposal than that,” Heather laughed, “If you want me to show up at prom with you, you better pull out all the stops.”
Tracy laughed, “Whatever, Heather.”
The salesperson came the with a rack full of dresses, “here they are, ladies.”
“Thank you,” they said.
“I’ll just be right here if you need any help.” The salesperson said.
“Alright,” Heather said walking up to the dresses and picking up three blue ones, “these look perfect! How am I gonna choose?”
“Good luck,” Tracy said grabbing the three pale pink floor length dresses, “let’s get started.”
They entered their respective dressing room and and proceeded to put on each dress one by one, showing them off between dresses.
Tracy’s first dress was a satin-y pale pink sleeveless dress with the high neckline she asked for, with no bells or whistles. She looked elegant and old hollywood, or current hollywood.
“I love it,” Heather said, “But it’s a bit vanilla, isn’t it?’
“It’s classic,” Tracy said.
Heather’s first dress was a short sky blue a line dress with an exaggerated heart neckline with pearls lining the waist.  It was what she wanted, except the a line skirt. She did not want that, it was too commercial.
“Yeah, too commercial,” Tracy said, “You don’t wanna looks like half the girls there.”
Tracy’s next dress was a more silky, flowy dress, the same pale pink, with a lacy sheer high neckline and three quarter length sleeves.
“It’s looks like a wedding dress,” Heather said.
Tracy nodded.
Heather’s second dress was a darker, more teal blue and was not an a-line skirt, instead it just flowed around her hips and to her knees. The fabric looked almost multicolored, flowing from a green to a blue.
“I like it,” Tracy said, “especially the pearls on the neckline.”
“Yes, it’s nice,” Heather said, “One last dress though.”
Tracy’s last dress was kind of a mix of the first at the last, it has the sheer high neckline but also the satiny material of the first dress. It was the one.
“I like this one, it’s sophisticated, almost basically a wedding dress but not completely one” Tracy said, staring at herself in the mirror, it flowed just right and made her look red carpet ready, she could imagine herself accepting some kind of fashion award wearing this dress. It was the dress.
Heather agreed.
Heather’s last dress was a dark sky blue, like a really sunny September sky through sunglasses, it had a heart neckline and pearls stitched into the skirts that flowed just above her knees.
And it was her dress.
“Gosh, you look perfect,” Tracy said, “like that dress was made for you.”
“Well it will be,” Heather laughed, “After I get it properly fitted to my size.”
“We are going to own that prom.” Tracy said, “if only we could get prom queen, both of us.”
“Or just one of us,” Heather said, “A tiara would look great with this dress.”
“Or mine,” Tracy said.
“Or yours,” Heather said, smiling at Tracy. This was the first time in a while that she had seen Tracy truly happy and it lit up her insides, and in that amazing dress she looked like she could rule the world.
“Yes,” Heather said.
“Hm?” Tracy asked,still admiring herself in the mirror.
“I’ll go to prom with you,” Heather laughed.

Tracy turned to look at Heather then, grinning, “this prom is ours!”

1 comment: